Gearing Up For Heroics

As I worked my Frost Mage to 70, I did a lot of reading and researching on gearing needs for running Heroics and gearing needs for maybe, perhaps, on occasion, filling in for someone in a Karazhan raid some day.


Shadoweave Tailor - Frozen Shadoweave set


So, when I hit 70 I started working on "epicing" out my equipment set, using the 3-piece Shadoweave set as the basis of it all.


I fished ALL 38 Primal Water
Trade Goods, UnknownSubClass#10
Item display is courtesy world of warcraft.allakhazam.com. ',VAUTO,HAUTO,FULLHTML);" onmouseout="return nd();">Primal Water in Nagrand myself since they sell for around 25g each. (Collection of Poached Bluefish
Requires Level 55
Use: Restores 7500 health over 30 seconds. Must remain seated while eating. If you spend at least 10 seconds eating you will become well fed and gain 23 Spell Damage and 20 Spirit for 30 minutes.
Charges: 1
Item display is courtesy world of warcraft.allakhazam.com. ',VAUTO,HAUTO,FULLHTML);" onmouseout="return nd();">Poached Bluefish for my Mage and Grilled Mudfish
Requires Level 55
Use: Restores 7500 health over 30 seconds. Must remain seated while eating. If you spend at least 10 seconds eating you will become well fed and gain 20 Agility and Spirit for 30 minutes.
Charges: 1
Item display is courtesy world of warcraft.allakhazam.com. ',VAUTO,HAUTO,FULLHTML);" onmouseout="return nd();">Grilled Mudfish for my up-and-coming Rogue is restocked as well) I transmuted about half of the cloth myself, but relied on the cooldowns of others with materials I bought from the Auction House for the rest.



Socketting My Gear


I socketted up my gems with semi-expensive ones (~35-55g each) first - dumb move, because I ended up replacing a bunch of those after finding out they were best for 25-man raid teammates, or PvP players. Now I'm using the "cheap" gems (1-3g each) that are better tuned for what I need - +damage above all else, bug +crit over +hit, and ZERO +spell penetration (except as wanted for PvP gear).


Filling In The Gaps


The Shadoweave set only fills in three slots, so I had to do some research and learn from others about where to fill those. Soulcloth Gloves
Binds when equipped
HandsCloth
106 Armor
+24 Stamina
+13 Intellect
+9 Spirit
+35 Arcane Resistance
\'yellow\' Yellow Socket
\'red\' Red Socket
Socket Bonus: +3 Intellect
Requires Level 70
Soulcloth Embrace
3 pieces: Increases your spell hit rating by 16.
Item display is courtesy world of warcraft.allakhazam.com. ',VAUTO,HAUTO,FULLHTML);" onmouseout="return nd();">Soulcloth Gloves was easy and I got it done before my first Shadoweave piece, but my attempt at getting the PvP bracers Vindicator\'s Silk Cuffs
Binds when picked up
WristCloth
103 Armor
+29 Stamina
+22 Intellect
\'yellow\' Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +2 Spell Damage
Classes: Warlock Mage Priest
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 27.
Equip: Improves spell critical strike rating by 17.
Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 13.
Item display is courtesy world of warcraft.allakhazam.com. ',VAUTO,HAUTO,FULLHTML);" onmouseout="return nd();">Vindicator's Silk Cuffs was fouled by my confusion and I bought Vindicator\'s Mooncloth Cuffs
Binds when picked up
WristCloth
103 Armor
+37 Stamina
+20 Intellect
\'yellow\' Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +3 Stamina
Classes: Warlock Mage Priest
Requires Level 70
Equip: Increases healing done by up to 55 and damage done by up to 19 for all magical spells and effects.
Equip: Improves your resilience rating by 17.
Item display is courtesy world of warcraft.allakhazam.com. ',VAUTO,HAUTO,FULLHTML);" onmouseout="return nd();">Vindicator's Mooncloth Cuffs instead, so I need to PvP more than I had planned (that's okay, it's a great skill-builder to fight while dancing).


I see there's a nice epic 1h Mage Sword that's reputation for Exalted with Thrallmar... and a nice wand in Heroic Underbog...


Heroic Statistical Goals


All I've been aiming for in gearing up for Heroics is to get to 500 frost damage. Fortunately my gear gives significant Stamina as well, so I've got nearly 6.5k health unbuffed before I decide on enchants to go on top of my +damage +hit or +stamina gems.


And, that is where I was when I got into my first Heroics group that went through the daily Heroics dungeon of the day, Blood Furnace. I went in with 6.7k hp unbuffed and came out with 6.9k, and went in with 464 frost damage and came out with 650.


But that's another entry for another day!