warhammer State of the Game: Is the game losing its shine? Page 3

It is quite annoying that the best gear you have to get from PvE, but I also understand the need for challenging gameplay to be given to high level players (i.e. bosses).


I was starting to feel this way so I've rerolled on a much higher pop server (much like most of the eu players it seems) and now the game is great fun again, loads of peeps about, rvr and pq's going on, so i'm gonna give it another couple of months and see how it goes on this new server


bleet bleet whine moan! dear me the game is still in its infancy and its like there are certain players who want everything %26quot;right here right now%26quot; (reminds me of a moby song) Give the game a chance to grow and evolve.I think the server splitting was a bad idea as quite a few players took up the months free sub and have not rejoined,leaving certain pops on servers looking sparce. Mythic now implemented server merges which will help. I am playing on a high server so the game is bouncing along niceley ,rvr keep seiges, pve and sprinkle a few scenes in ....im enjoying the game.


That's a good point actually..



The game is still an infant yet people are treating it like it's some 35 year old guy who hasn't gotten his life together and is living in his mom's basement..



That's right, kick the 2 month old baby out of your house! He isn't paying rent and needs to get a real job


I realize they are both very different but the point im trying to make is that these companies are not doing a very good job of testing their games before they release them and essentially we the paying customers ARE the beta testers.



Sorry but I dont intend to pay to test an almost finished game. Im passionate about the genre and them doing this to us is a real slap in the face if you ask me.


I agree, this game should've never been released in the state it's in. It was pushed and now they pay for it.


Welcome to the post-WoW MMO market. Pre-WoW, games could get away with being released half finished; competition was low and the market restricted. Now whatever your opinion on WoW might be (and personally I loathe it with the power of a thousand suns) the game is polished. Sure, when it released, it was buggy as all hell and it's end game was woefully unprepared. Blizzard got away with that then. This is now.



It's pointless for Mark, or indeed others, to point out that WAR is more polished than WoW was at release, pointless because WoW wasn't released alongside WAR. Players won't compare release WoW with release WAR; they'll compare release WAR to current WoW. And WAR is terribly, terribly far behind.


There you have it folks. Straight from Mark's mouth.


So you're pretty much saying that because of WoW every subsequent MMO is going to automatically fail unless it can remain in beta for 10 years and achieve perfection prior to actual release?



Sorry but those standards seem a wee bit to high to me (and by wee bit I mean how high is Mt. Everest?)


I've been enjoying my way to L40, though I'm not impressed with the game thus far. Being L31, I still have a bit to go, but I'm definitely going to play a lot less when I hit L40. There's no way I'm going to do scenarios more than every now and then and the world PvP at the moment bores me to no end. I'd rather go play DAoC again than engage in these mind-numbing keep fights that feel more like PvE than anything. On my Sorc it's a bit more interesting, but still rather crappy.



My main problem at the moment is with the zone layouts, which is unlikely to get changed. The gameplay is clunky, but it does OK and I like playing my Shaman. Class balance doesn't really worry me.



But then again, DAoC RvR was pretty much all in one zone. Emain Macha. The zone consisted of two mile gates, one keep and a lot of green. That's pretty much it. Yet who had a lot of fun in this zone? I have no reason to believe that, even though I have serious disagreements with the game's design when it comes to maps and the RvR system, players won't manage to create something great out of what we have. I think that for this scenarios need to be killed at L40, but they need to wait until more people hit L40 before doing this.



I'm playing the game to have fun and, unlike DAoC or WoW, there's no grind (at least for the way I like to play), so I'm not going to get the %26quot;I wasted so much time!%26quot; feeling I got when Blizzard released the Battlegrounds (I was deluding myself into thinking that they'd release a third continent that would be dedicated to PvP combat). If you're not enjoying the game, roll a different char (I got frustrated with my Marauder, and then my Sorc; I love my Shaman), don't play so much or quit. Keep an eye out on the game and maybe it'll become what you want.



But I get the feeling that as people get to L40 and scenarios run out of people, leveling will be harder and might require a PvE grind unless they make scenarios work cross-server (which I think that they should do, as long as they get rid of L40 scenarios or provide absolutely no incentive to engage in them as end-game).



While I could go into the fun aspect of a WE claiming characters are %26quot;loopsided%26quot;, I'll not but try to tackle your main points.






Roll one. I really can't believe that people whine about these classes being overpowered. And I have a L31 Shaman (which a solo WH can not kill without a lot of help) and a Sorc (which they can, rightfully, kill if I don't get good support from my team). I feel pity everytime I see a WH sneak his way to me only to die a miserable death. In T4 it's a bit harder, since I'm L31 atm and some are L40, but even with that level difference I can't consider them OPed.



Their damage is less than a BW/Sorc (which, at least, they can kill 1v1), but they need to be in melee all while being extra-squishy. I'm not sure how people can whine about them. PS: I have a Sorc and Marauder in T3; no WE.


yes and no, that probably won't be necessary since wow will most likely start to fade away and people will loose interest more and more even tho there are new expansions coming. and at that time if war has been more perfected it will probably take a big chunk of the player base, or if there is some other great game out there by then. until then live with wow , unfinished war or whatever else there is.


I think the main reason people play scenarios is that they are the most accesible element of this game. Most other elements are only fun if you play them with a more organized group of people. Which is due to the nature of those other activities, not because of Mythic. One can actually solo-grind influence, its just dead boring and dull. In fact just like scenarios, but people are used to that from WoW's battlegrounds so they accept it I guess.



Regarding best gear from PvE, I don't really like that classification. One should get the best gear by playing all aspects of the game. Scenarios, oRvR, classic PvE content. People who focus on a single aspect should be penalized for that as it harms the community as a whole, i.e. lack of groups and stuff.


Oh, and I need to add: I believe that the next great MMORPG is the one that will manage to introduce the web 2.0 thinking to MMOs. The old games had it, though in a pretty rough form, but MMOs have since gone for linear progression instead of making open-ended MMOs more user-friendly.