warhammer Who thinks that they should fix performance issues/optimization instead of balance?

I am one of the many who has been lagging on a decent pc. The devs just dont seem to care that we are having trouble with this.



So im posting this to gather the people who think like me, and hopefully send a message to mythic.



balance is great, but its icing on the cake. I want a cake that is edible first.


Client Stabilty and optimization most likely is a different set of devs then the combat and careers. They can work on multiple things at once using teams for separate issues. I highly doubt they are just giving up and not working on it. They have stated they will work on client performance and stability in the state of the game.


Class balance wouldn't be handled by programmers, performance would. If you want the non-programmers mucking around in the game code that they know nothing about then... well, then thats just not smart.



My point: Do you actually think that the people working on class balance could even be used to work on performance problems? no. So don't ask them to stop one when it has nothing to do with the other. This has been brought up in MANY threads.


WoW's expansion is a few days away, they need a big patch to try to counter it. Sadly judging from the changes its rushed and may scare people away than keep them.



If the patch is good people stay, if rushed and keeps the current large amounts of nerf's people leave.



Yes im Cynical, yes i think they are about to make a huge mistake with such a massive overhall of all the classes a month into launch. Yes i think they are doing it because of the WoW expansion.


I think if you are leaving for wotlk you are leaving for wotlk - not sure that a little class balancing patch would top you from doing that.


Some of the best things in life aren't the popular ones.......


Performance is secondary. I rarely have performance issues but I've already cancelled my sub due to poor class balancing.


WoW is the definition of class imbalance. I don't see how warhammer needs a big patch to counteract WOTLK.


Landing a chained 3s heal on a dead target is not actually what i signed up for. I do believe that concistent performance (outside of lag issues that are temporary) is a must before even considering to judge balance of any kind.



Its impossible to level a spherical object on an inclined surface since time immemorial.



EDIT: As above but wow (noun): unending farming in the majority of western (-minded) countries. Apologies but the asian definition has proved elusive so far.


I really want this to succeed because I like Warhammer much more than WoW universe. But the gameplay is just not up to scratch right now.


I think the same way, the people who love wow and thought they would try war, if they prefere what wow has to offer they will always go back to wow,



look at wow and how still there is class imbalance, you will never balance the classes perfectly to please everyone, I for one do not agree on a perfect class balance, and to be honest I've not really noticed a huge inbalance people talk about with classes, maybe its because im not a hardcore gamer and casual who knows.if the same people are in charge of both class balance and network coding were ed because they have coders doing design or designers doing code.


exactly. A desperate and useless attempt from Mythic to try to keep people. A little patch like this with almost as much negative as positive changes will hardly make people cahnge their minds.


Haha if people like you had your way then WAR would be in some serious trouble. Maybe you should try to get the art guys to work on stability to.


Sure it is. You just need super glue. Or perform the task in a zero-G environment. But you'll still need glue.



On to the topic at hand though. I agree that I'd much rather they fixed the game performance first, then the balancing issues. But both are important, and if Mythic feels that they want to go with the balancing issues first then that's their right. As it is the player's right to cancel their sub.



The point I wish to make is that the game has been out a little less than 2 months. I'm not sure what most MMOs were like a month and change after launch but I'm guessing a lot worse than what they are now. So I'm willing to give Mythic time to sort it out and I'll probably stick with them.


Game runs fine for me, my PC isn't amazing by any stretch.



So I disagree.


From a marketting perspective, Careers get people to play and come back.



Stability keeps them here.



Its only unstable when theres lots of people on as well. which wont be an issue if they cant get more people.


Apparently you can't read. The problem has nothing to do with the %26quot;power%26quot; of your system, people with systems that should be running this game at 60+ FPS on high settings are getting slideshows on low settings, especially in PVP (aka %26quot;where it matters%26quot;).



This is really bad press (%26quot;hey the game is cool, but you have a significant chance for it to run like crap for no apparent reason%26quot;).


Yep. I used to get horrid performance on my PC when this came out but it seems to have been getting better and better ever so slowly. Still has a long way to go though until it runs as good as it should on paper.


The question of the thread: Should they focus on performance instead of balance?



My answer: I don't think so, because the game seems to run fine for me even though I have it on pretty decent settings and I don't have a great computer. To add to that, I haven't heard that many complaints about performance issues with the game, all things considered.



So while I by no means think they should ignore performance issues, I think content / class balance issues are more important.



I can read just fine.


MMOs run the crappiest of any games i have ever played, donno why, but my rig slaughters Crysis and Fallout 3 never dropping under 60 FPS maxed out,



now MMOs... it struggles to mantain 60FPS... i dont understand it what makes these games run so S***y?



and changing the settings doesnt seem to help no matter what i do the performance is the same


I hope you realize that WoW's expansion is going to have problems too, so the people who leave because of bug issues, are going to run into the same problems with WoW.


Not really. I was in the WotLK Beta around the same time as the WAR Open Beta, and back then it had about as many bugs as WAR does now.


They should work on Performance issues first - this game runs like a dream on my machine and it should i just got it and paid about 2500.00 for it.



But its crap that a large % of people get such crappy FPS and other issues. Fix the game so ppl can play it, then fix so called balance issues.



if 700k are playing and 8% of them can't play the game with mid spec systems then that is where their patching direction should go.



That is the low number i see on the forms 8% i have no idea if its true but 15% seems a bit high to me.


I run a high end system and its like a slideshow in RvR. Forget even trying to fight in fortress sieges, I end up dying without even getting a chance to control my char once we get through a door


You do know that harddrives actually play a large roll in games. Your processor, RAM and video card is only going to be as fast as your harddrive, and depending on how old that HD is, it could be better or worse.



That being said, I have:


Pentium Core2Dual 3.0ghz Wolfdale


8GB's OCZ Reaper PC6400 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)


eVGA GT260 FTW Overclocked Video Card


eVGA 780i Motherboard


and my System/Gaming Harddrive is a Velociraptor 300MB.



WAR Runs perfect on my system. Its also worth stating that I have Vista Home Premium x64 edition.



I believe WAR was made to utilize DX10.1 too.



Also, its worth saying that my friend was playing on a 3 year old machine and he could still play but stopped until he ordered his new computer only because his CC's were lagging which was causing him to die, but he could still play in scenarios and ORvR with some lag. He now upgraded and has no problem at all. Has less RAM than me and is using the Radeon 4780 or whatever it is. He did also upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64.



Also its nice to put your resolution up as well. Some people are trying to play WAR at 1900x1200 Resolution on 8600GT's...


Game works perfectly for me with no client side crashes on a moderatly old system which was not top notch when I built it.



The game works fine for my brother on a new system which is also not top of the line but was built just recently except the client does ocassionally crash maybe once every two days when we play together.



I definetly support them patching client performance for people that can't play the game with hopes that it will improve preformance on other platforms as well.



The client/server part could also benefit from some optimisation and I would hope that it would eliminate the %26quot;teleport%26quot; issue or at least reduce the severity of the problem. I hope they haven't given up on the collision detection just yet.



Yeah sure the jobs should be completly separate and those that most of posters call developers probably don't even touch code but are just game designers working with people who actually code the stuff in the end.



If they can do both balancing and optimisations in parallel fine but where the resourcers are shared main focus should still be on preformance/stabillity at this point.


Things like testing, QA, sifting through feedback,... are most likely shared.


Well, most people who have performance issues (like myself) and have a system better than the recommended specs (not the minimum) are used to play games with settings maxed flawlessly. Even with the minimum settings and in 1024x768 the game runs like crap here, and like some people have posted, RvR looks like a slideshow. And even if it was playable in these settings I wouldn't be satisfied tbh...what's the point of having a high-end system if you got to play on the lowest settings?



To the OP: personally I would like them to fix performance issues first ofcourse, class balance should be addressed when the game runs fine and people can actually RvR normally.


The game seems to be getting more unstable of lately. They did an update.. don't know how long ago but no it is crashing and lagging more then in was in the first two or so weeks. Had a month were it was great tho.


well i for one want them to fix lags CTD and stuttering. As of late patching i from time to time end up in a whole different chapter in tier3 even if i signed and joined serpent passage in tier4 warcamp. As of lately i been getting random freezes and crashes which i never had before. Performance issues are more the issue that would make ppl leave, rather than balance issues imo. Not being able to do what this game is made for kinda defeats the purpose of playing it.



PS: i never had issues earlier, everything ran smooth, but lately its getting worse.